Facebook Page Admins, whether they are business owners, marketers or community managers, focus on two important tasks: Reaching and engaging existing Fans and growing the Fan base.
Both becoming increasingly harder to accomplish, especially when you’re starting from scratch.
Today, we’re going to look at how to fulfill these important tasks at the same time using a Quiz Contest with a very cool Referral Bonus.
The beauty of the Quiz Contest is that it helps you:
- Engage your Existing Fans - We all know one of the main reasons people like Pages is to participate in promotions
- Increase awareness – Using the Referral Bonus program, you can get in front of your Fans friends
- Grow your Fan base – We’ll focus on attracting those new prospects to like your Page
This approach has been successfully used by brands like Toshiba, Warner Bros and BMW, and today we’ll go over how YOU can also implement it as part of your Facebook Marketing.
How Quiz Contests work
Let’s use a real case scenario to demonstrate: The Quiz Contest for the movie The Hobbit.
By the way, you can actually take this quiz to see how it works on the TabFoundry Page, here is the link: http://tab.fo/hobbit
Step 1: Page Like
There is an optional Like-Gate to generate Page Likes. This means that, in order to participate, the user has to like the page first.
Step 2: The Quiz
The user goes through a series of questions in a multiple choice format. I know what you’re thinking… Google the answers, right? But there is a time limit to go through the quiz. You can say we’re evil, but this also adds a gaming aspect to the whole experience.
Step 3: The score
Once finished the Quiz, the user can immediately see the results.
Step 4: The share
This is where it gets interesting. You offer the possibility to gain more points by sharing the tab with friends. The user earns extra points for each friend that takes the Quiz.
This will publish the post right on the user’s timeline, where friends can link directly to your Quiz tab.
So let’s recap real quick before we continue…
- You generate a Page Like by setting a Like-Gate
- You engage your Fans with a Quiz game
- You enable your Fans to promote it for you
4 Steps to Build a Successful Quiz Contest
1- Selecting the appropriate prize
Selecting the right prize sounds easy, but it’s not something you want to take lightly. The prize will actual play an essential role in the success of your contest.
While giving away an iPad sounds very exciting and can help you attract tons of participants, this could be the biggest mistake you make in your contest. Such a prize will attract anyone, and might even get picked up by contest spammers who are just looking for a quick iPad to grab.
What you are trying to do here is attract qualified prospects for your business. You want the prize to make people want to participate, not because it’s something free, but because it’s something free that they are genuinely interested in.
If you sell spices, give away a set of spices. People will participate because they’re interested in winning the price, because they probably cook. This person represents a higher chance of becoming your customer.
There are 2 questions that will help you come up with the perfect prize for your contest:
- Does this prize attract people that are my potential customers?
- Is this prize attractive enough? (Nobody will give you 2 clicks to win a keychain…)
2- Set up your Quiz Custom App
There are 3 key parts in your App:
- Referral Bonus
We’ve created this video tutorial to walk you through the process. Don’t worry, this stuff sounds a lot more technical than it really is.
3- Create your Post
Now that you’ve created your Quiz Contest app and you’re ready to go, create the post to publish on your Page.
3 key aspects to consider here:
- Be short and to the point.
- Make it visual. A beauty shot of the prize will do the job.
- Do not forget to use the tab.fo short link instead of the url generated by Facebook. You want Tab to be mobile-friendly.
4- Spread it
This is where many Facebook contests fail big. If you don’t actively promote your contest, chances of getting enough traffic are low.
Have a plan to promote your contest. Here a few ideas you can consider:
- Post on your Facebook Page and promote it with your existing Fans
- Run ads to attract Non-Fans
- Off-Facebook promotion. Promote to your email list, in your blog and in other social profiles
- Use a custom link to promote on mobile devices
- Make sure you enable the Referral Bonus feature included in the app so your participants can earn additional points by referring their friends
More awesome sauce? Sure, why not…
Our Quiz Contests are part of the FREE plan!
Start by signing up to TabFoundry today.